[Bf-funboard] Recover last session, open recent, and open

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at freefactory.org
Sat Apr 21 21:22:34 CEST 2007

Hi, in my opinion, we are "ok"... Here is my reason:
> 1) Recover last session.
pops up a "dialog"- you have to do the further action of selecting which
file to recover
> 2) New File
you yourself say it's OK..
> 3) Open File
F1? just opens the filechooser- this is actually the safest one, since
it doesn't do anything destructive.

Of course having a quit.blend saved for those occasions doesn't hurt.

> There may be more but these are the ones off the top of my head.
>
> Of these three the only one which offers a "are you sure" dialogue is
> the "new file" one. However the other two both have the same effect of
> wiping the existing file.  This means a slip of the mouse will result in
> all work being lost (open recent and open are less likely since they are
> in sub menus, whereas recover last is right next to save.)
>
> I had a laggy interface. The Girlfriend said "save the file"  so ok.
> lets save it. blender drops out on the "recover last"  nice all my work
blender "drops out" sounds like a crash? otherwise I'm not sure what it
means.
> is now gone.  and since the quit.blend file only exists on a quit (not
> on a wipe) that is not an option.
>
> Could we please implement an undo which will undo across a save.  The
> undo key offered no help to me since it was conveniently a different file.
I can't comment on undo across save- I've not seen any other app do
this, but I have no idea if it's because it's bad, hard to implement, or
if they just didn't think of it. Perhaps some of the more
design/interface oriented people on the list have a better idea.

> This isn't a complaint BTW, I understand the risks of using blender and
> know the work that goes into it, I'm Just offereing an idea (based on
> experience) for a bit of consistency and reduction of headaches across
> all these potentially dangerous file loading areas of blender.
>
> Cheers guys. Keep up the awesome work.
I could be insensitive here- I'm a fairly good touch typist and I've
never pressed a "dangerous" hotkey by mistake during the years I've been
using blender. This may not fit other users experiences.