[Bf-funboard] Add Mesh - Continued...

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Fri Apr 6 13:02:59 CEST 2007

Matt Ebb wrote:

> On 06/04/2007, at 7:20 AM, Joe Eagar wrote:
>
>> Alexander Ewering wrote:
>>>
>>> In this context, I'd like to point at DTPBlender (a fork of
>>> instinctive-Blender, in turn a fork of Blender 2.36) and its
>>> "User-defined
>>> primitives" - you can just turn on "Primitive" in the editbuttons,
>>> and the
>>> Object gets put into an add->user->... menu, and when added, behaves
>>> the same as other primitives (current layer, rot from view, no scale, at
>>> cursor)... you can just link your .B.blend to a, say, .primitives.blend
>>> which contains a scene with your user-defined primitives, and
>>> then you always have your primitives available...
>> That sounds like a worthwhile feature.
>
> I like the sound of the python ones better, since you can have
> procedurally generated objects like most of the current primitives -
> what's mentioned above is pretty much the same as a shortcut to appending.
>
> But you could also do that with python too, it would be trivial to have
> a command (could easily be a script) that actually writes out a script
> to your scripts dir, containing the code necessary to rebuild that
> object, similar to how save current theme works. So you have your
> object, click 'save as primitive' and then it appears alongside all the
> other python ones in the menu.
>
> Matt

Matt, This is alredy done, (thats how I made the teapot ;) ) - just run
a script on the active object and it popups up in the menu.

we can make available from a menu and users can add their own primitives
whenever we like.  Im not sure this is good though.

Primitives should be limited, heck theres only so many that are even
possible.. dodecagon, some queer torus's
http://www.math.umbc.edu/~rouben/dynagraph/gallery/split-torus.jpg even
so these arnt going to be that useful. Stabford bunny? cow?

If we allow users to easerly create their own primitives, they will end
up using this for their own library which is a mis-use of the add->mesh
menu.

So I vote
* keep python mesh menu as is in CVS (people seem to agree its ok)
* only have a easy way for users to add mesh primitives if we also have
a way to add library objects. - Thats another discussion really.

- Cam