[Bf-funboard] Add Mesh - Continued...

Michael Crawford psyborgue at mac.com
Thu Apr 5 09:47:28 CEST 2007

On Apr 5, 2007, at 3:36 AM, Campbell Barton wrote:

> Michael Crawford wrote:
>>>
>>> why do you think we have a community of programmers who work for
>>> free??
>>> - To support artists so they dont have to develop their own tool
>>> all the time.
>> Which is partially why I haven't bothered to touch the blender
>> source :P  I didn't want to say that so blatantly but since you
>> brought it up.. :D
>> Eh.  don't worry.  i'll give back at some point, when i'm done
>> with art school, take care of an advocacy issue that's important
>> to me, and have more free time to develop.  Blender ain't going
>> anywhere.  That's another nice thing about open source.
>
> This is off topic but I dont believe users of free software are
> under any moral obligation to contribute back to the software in
> any way.

Changed send address to just you and me.

No you are probably right... but I want to contribute.  Suggesting
features / debating / writing down improvements, bug reports etc...
is something i can do in my spare time with no obligations imposed by
myself (ie.. if I say "i'll code x feature, and i end up not having
time, i feel horrible about it").  Overactive conscience?  Maybe.
But i've always been a long-haired hippie open source type, and i'm
all about karma.  See.  With open source, helping yourself is helping
others.  What goes around very directly comes around.  I would argue
such a system could be applied to a larger system (such as government
or even corporation) but that's a topic that's waaay off topic.