[Bf-funboard] Add Mesh - Continued...

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Thu Apr 5 07:59:30 CEST 2007

> On Apr 5, 2007, at 12:11 AM, Campbell Barton wrote:
>
>> Id like to get away from python being second classm nested away where
>> people wont use it,
>
> I like python being seperated from C.  I like knowing what is a script
> and what isn't (can i change/diagnose/fix/cannibalize it without
> recompiling).  That's one other issue i have with Maya, but i've bashed
> that program enough for several centuries this week already. (500 megs
> of scripts and a teeny tiny binary).  However, if you're talking about
> simply putting them in the same menu, that make a hell of a lot of
> sense.  I simply think it should always have that little python icon
> next to it so users know it's a script.
>
>> Adding a Torus acts no different then adding a sphere. separating
>> based on language makes no sense from a user perspective.
>
> it depends on the level and definition of "user".  I'm a user.  Any
> user/artist who gets to a certain level eventually must progress to
> programming in order to advance in capability.
>
>> Whilst arbitrary user defined meshes good to plan for, we currently
>> dont have any in blender (unless you count the monkey)
>
> No.  That's a primitive (get the evolution joke).  har har har.  I
> aggree it would be great to have this feature though.  Perhaps one could
> have a new "favorites" menu... like a web browser.  and a "bookmarks"
> file which to store meshes   (embedded in the file? on the
> workstation?).  One could select a mesh and go, "menu>favorites>add to
> favorites" or something like that.  you get the drift.

Python scripts are after all C functions divided by a separator, we can
have a py icon too.

If people want to check out scripts, Im naming all scripts
add_mesh_*.py, they can find them there.

menu>favorites>add? - would probably be menu>add>custom - As Iv stated
we can have both user defined objects and the existing add mesh menu.
however its getting into the relms of library manager and I dont think
we want to go there.