[Bf-funboard] Re: Re: Some skinning feature ideas

Claudio "malefico" Andaur malefico at manosdigitales.com
Wed Apr 4 14:43:03 CEST 2007

Hey guys,

>> When one first starts painting
weights, you would expect that painting "full bright" (i.e. weight 1.0)
would mean that the selected bone/influence is going to fully affect the
painted area

When I started working with weight paint I also found very disturbing
that painting 0.5 weight was actually 1.0  when there were no other
bones acting on that mesh area. I agree with you guys on that it would
be more intuitive if painting 0.5 would make the mesh to deform
halfways. Or keeping it as it is now in the deformation department, and
changing to/adding a "Normal View" or something for the visualisation
department as Tony described might be a good idea.

To be honest, I
cannot see how having a weight of 0.004 is going to help something.

Well, currently if you have other modifiers than an armature (let's say
a lattice), there are times that you need to set a 0.001 value for the
global armature, for just the mesh not to be left behind, if you set it
to zero, then no matter how high the weight is for the lattice, it will
be left behind. So, there ARE cases when you want this kind of light
weight in a vertex group.

In the other way, when Tony talks about cleaning weights... yeah... it's
a pain. I have had lot better results using an envelope script
(Campbell's ?) that used proxy geometry than Blender's envelopes.

Anyway, my personal opinion is that yeah, if you have  a way to make
skinning faster, go ahead ! however, do you really think so ?  have you
tried aaaalll the current features ? (I'm not saying you haven't, it's a
QUESTION)  we just need to be sure to have a nice design that considers
all real cases. And don't feel offended in any way this is not a
personal thing.

Regards

malefico