[Bf-funboard] Re: Some skinning feature ideas

Benjamin Tolputt bjt at pmp.com.au
Wed Apr 4 01:44:13 CEST 2007

Tony Mullen wrote:
> I'm not sure if this was directed towards me, but since my suggestions
> are what seemed to inspire it I'll point out that while numerous
> people suggested hacks or workarounds for the example problems that I
> described, (not all of which I'd been aware of, and I appreciate the
> tips) none of the methods described were similar in actual
> functionality to what I proposed, which I still think would improve
> how weight painting works.
This is something I am in agreement with (to be on the record).
> <snip "poor documentation state" comments>
This is very true. For example, have a look at the Blender documentation
page for details on Weight Painting. I quote "In this mode dark blue
represents areas with no weight from the current group and red represent
areas with full weight". There is no mention of "full weight" being
something different to what it says. As such, how I read it (and I can
only assume *many* others do to) is that "RED = 1.0 weight for
deformation". This is (as nobody here denies) a patently incorrect
reading, but there is nothing (not even in the Wiki) that corrects this
plain english understanding of the text.

I personally found the comment a little offensive as I do not believe it
is the user's fault (as I felt was implied) for not reading all the
comments & tips scattered across tutorial websites, forums, hell even
Orange/Blue Elenphant comments.
> So to paraphrase your frustrated quote, I'm saying "but I can find the
> influencing bones five different ways already! the real problem is
> that I want full control over setting one specific weight so that I
> don't have to care about all those other bones!"
A nice summary of my position as well :) I do not doubt that there are
many ways to accomplish the task of weight painting. I am simply
suggesting some functionality will make certain common tasks much more
efficient without affecting the workflow others seem to enjoy.

Regards,
B.J.Tolputt