[Bf-funboard] Re: Some skinning feature ideas

Claudio "malefico" Andaur malefico at manosdigitales.com
Tue Apr 3 14:15:11 CEST 2007

Hey interesting discussion,

I have been rigging characters for quite some time now (yeah, birds
mostly :) ) and one thing that I had to do in many ocassions was to do
screenshots of different vertex groups, in order to check/find wrong
weight paint, specially in simetrical parts (sometimes, Blender loses
track of X-axis simetry, and then paint is no longer applied equally in
both sides).

So, the idea of having a way to "view" other vertexgroups while painting
weights in one, sounds interesting to me.

BTW, Tony, you do know that you can pick any group that is affecting a
certain area by shift-left-clicking on the mesh, don't you ? It will
show you a list of all groups acting on that area. This is the fastest
way to clean up weight paint I ever tried. This and the face select mode
combined with SHIFT+K to fill up selected faces with a weight, are nice
tools and will speed up your workflow if you don't know them.

About normalization I only had problems when blending armature
deformations with other deformers likes lattices and stuff. THEN lack of
normalization is your worst nightmare. I've heard Ton was going to work
on multi-deformers or something that would solve this issue for once. I
hope it is in 2.44 plans :)

The other thing I think it's worth improving is bone envelopes. Current
system is quite limited for most cases. I mean, an ellipsoid envelope
can't really work well with most characters. You need something that can
be shaped in a more free way. I thought about something like B-Bones but
where each segment can have a different scale in X, Y, or Z. This way
you could really cover a precise volume of your mesh, thus, speeding up
skinning by not having so many things to fix.
Envelopes are great, but they need to be worked on to be REALLY productive.

Anyway, regards.

malefico