[Bf-funboard] Applying All Bone Envelopes to a Mesh at Once

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Tue Apr 3 13:39:16 CEST 2007

Although the interface is rotten, there's a way to do that. Select
armature, go into pose mode and select all bones. Now, select the mesh,
but make sure that you don't accidentally break your all-bones selection
from pose mode. With the mesh selected, enter Weight Paint mode. You'll
see that all of the armature's bones are still selected.

Now, press the W-key to assign envelopes to vert groups. It doesn't show
in the display with all bones selected, but now by selecting each bone
individually you see that all envelopes have been applied.

So, as long as you can figure out those semi-arcane steps, you can use
the work flow you mentioned.

> I don't do much rigging, but I've always found that auto create
> groups to be rather dodgy. What would be much better IMO would be a
> way to bake the bone envelopes to vertex groups for all deforming
> bones at once. Currently you can do this one at a time via some
> obscure menu entry I can't remember now, but I imagine it would be
> much nicer to be able to just do it all at once, so you can have a
> workflow like: set up envelopes -> bake -> clean up with painting.
>
> cheers
>
> Matt

Roland