[Bf-funboard] Re: Some skinning feature ideas

Tony Mullen tony.mullen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 13:08:15 CEST 2007

>Wrong... now you got that
>influence spread between the head, neck, and by default one other
>bone (3 influences per vertex default in maya)...  So now we have .
>333 added to each of those three bones.

Nobody has suggested smoothing, or anything like what you're
describing.  Normalized weights on vertices (which Blender has) and
smoothing over the mesh (which I imagine would indeed lead to the
undesirable effects you are talking about) are completely different
things.  My proposed options would not have the effect you describe.
The "Display Normalized Weights" would be nothing more than a display
option and would not have any effect on the actual weights at all, and
the "Assign Absolute Weights" option would affect only the actual
verts to which the weight was being assigned and adjust only existing
weights on those verts in a way that was proportionate to their
original value.

>I'm begging the devs listening:  Don't change the way it works.  It's
>perfect... perfect, as it is.  Don't try and make it like maya.

I don't want anybody to make Blender like Maya, but I also don't think
ideas should be disregarded simply because they vaguely remind
somebody of some problem that Maya has.

As for whether it's perfect, well, nothing's perfect, and improvements
can always be made.