[Bf-funboard] Some skinning feature ideas

Michael Crawford psyborgue at mac.com
Tue Apr 3 09:05:18 CEST 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 2:11 AM, jonathan ferguson wrote:

> From my experience, when creating vertex groups one has to be
> *very* careful. Can blender help inform users of stray i.e. non-
> contiguous meshes that have strayed into that vertex group while
> weight painting? I'm imagining color or some other unobtrusive
> flag, not a dialog box with a GOMS value of zero. I'm fairly new to
> the whole game of skinning and rigging, but it seems to me, that
> *most of the time* people want to have a bone influence a
> contiguous area of the mesh. Is this so? Wouldn't it be fairly easy
> to ask blender to check for that?

Kinda like "spot detection"... if a single vertex (or two... maybe
have a threshold) has influence, but it's immediate neighbors don't
it gets pruned (or maybe flagged with.....  white).  Most painting
mistakes only affect one or two vertices.  It you keep this in mind,
it should be fairly easy to find stray influence.