[Bf-funboard] Some skinning feature ideas

Michael Crawford psyborgue at mac.com
Tue Apr 3 08:53:10 CEST 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 1:43 AM, Benjamin Tolputt wrote:

> Jason van Gumster wrote:
>> Perhaps, but there's a counter-argument to this.  When painting
>> bones,
>> I expect consistent behavior.  If I have my brush set to 1 and I
>> paint
>> on some verts, I expect that the color will go all the way to
>> red.  If
>> it stops at yellow or at green, I tend to think that there's an error
>> or I'm just not hitting that vertex enough.
> I can understand that point of view, which is why I am partial to
> the idea of having two toggle buttons, one for controlling
> "normalized display" and another for controlling "normalized paint".

If you're talking about an entirely new "masochist mode"... and it's
completely optional (Added feature, not replaced)..  Hey.  go for
it.  My prediction is i'll be able to say "i told ya so" when you try
using it a lot.  :P

> On the other hand though, what I am proposing would not have it
> stop at "green" (~0.4 influence weight), but actually go all the
> way to red (1.0 influence weight) with the other influences on that
> vertex falling to blue (0.0 influence weight).
>
> If this is your main problem with the suggestion, I don't think we
> are in disagreement :)

Read my recent, somewhat long email with the "foot example"...  That
happened a lot when i was teaching maya to students...