[Bf-funboard] Some skinning feature ideas

Benjamin Tolputt bjt at pmp.com.au
Tue Apr 3 04:40:16 CEST 2007

Joe Eagar wrote:
> I have a python script, that displays (in a menu) all the bones that
> are influencing a vert.  Maybe something like this should be
> implemented in blender?
This would (in my opinion), be an inferior stop-gap measure. While
useful (I'm not bagging the idea as it has merit), it is only a "per
vertex" function. The issue remains that when weight painting (emphasis
on the word "painting"), one can only see the weight for the current
bone as a colour. As mentioned by Tony, it is most useful to have the
colour shown reflect the "applied weight" of the selected bone. Given
that the "applied weight" (i.e. normalized weight) of the bone on the
vertex is what controls the deformation - it is much more intuitive to
see it (and not the non-normalized weight).

The display & editing options as proposed by Tony (i.e. a "Display
Normalized Values" toggle and an "Assign Absolute Weights" toggle) would
enable both the current workflow (as possibly preferred by current
Blenders) and the new (in my opinion "more intuitive") workflow to exist
side by side and quite possibly complement each other.

Regards,
B.J.Tolputt