[Bf-funboard] Some skinning feature ideas

Benjamin Tolputt bjt at pmp.com.au
Tue Apr 3 01:59:57 CEST 2007

 > Really? Try painting weights in maya sometime.

I have, it sucks, I don't want it.

However, the ability to weight vertices completely to a single bone
while weight painting I find invaluable. Let's take a workflow I use
frequently (and I see in a lot of basic rigging tutorials), which is to
get the application to make it's "best guess" at initial vertex weights
and then edit them as necessary to make them closer to the desired
deformations. This works well when you are simply adjusting weights up &
down for individual bones, but becomes a pain (in Blender at least) when
you need weight a series of vertices to only one bone. This (in Blender)
requires you to go through all influences the vertex has and paint them
all to zero. Whereas in Maya the workflow is to simply paint the weights
for the bone in question to completely white (i.e. 1.0) which will
automagically zero (or drastically minimize) the influence of other bones.

I too like the fact I do not need to work on normalization manually, but
I don't think that need be a problem for implementing something that can
fix this. Perhaps there could be a "auto-normalize" option/mode for the
Weight Paint interface. When entering this mode/option, it will
autonormalize the weights for you. Then, while painting, the
normalization happens automagically. That is, when I see a vertex
coloured completely red - I know the selected bone is the only (or nigh
on only) bone influencing that vertex. If said vertex is coloured
completely blue - I know that the bone in question is not affecting the
vertex at all. Being able to see this while editing the weights would be
an invaluable tool in my mind (and a major time saver).

The way I see it working is to have "adding" weight to the vertex
influence do so, then normalize the rest of the vertex influences (i.e.
weights them down) to match the "1.0" requirement. When vertex influence
drops below a settable level (e.g. 0.001), it gets removed completely.
When subtracting from the vertex influence, it normalizes the other
influences (i.e. weights them up) to match the "1.0" requirement. The
special case for this would be that when there is only the one influence
affecting the vertex (and it is the one being subtracted), there is no
normalization. In this case it is either 1.0 or 0.0 (as that is it's
effective value anyway).

My thoughts on the matter are that just because Maya stuffed it up,
doesn't mean the concept isn't sound. It might just be the case that
Maya developers/designers are not perfect either, and as such borked the
implementation.

Regards,
B.J.Tolputt