[Bf-funboard] Some skinning feature ideas

Michael Crawford psyborgue at mac.com
Tue Apr 3 00:16:55 CEST 2007

On Apr 2, 2007, at 4:49 PM, Bassam Kurdali wrote:

> Hi Tony, Roland answered some of your other questions, here's one he
> didn't:
> 2) vertex weights are normalized for bones already- you can assign a
> weight of one to each bone and they mix fifty fifty- no "greater than
> one" or "less than one" weights are allowed to a vertex. If you
> assign a
> vertex a weight of 0.1 to one bone, and no other bone influences, it
> will have an effective weight of 1.

What he said.  It's a much smarter way of weighting than other
applications in my opinion (more in a sec).   What's great is that
you never have to worry about all influences adding up to 1.

> For cleaning up, there is a "clean weights" script that removes
> (with a
> threshold) vertexes with weights close to zero from a group. I
> think it
> lets you iterate over all groups too. This is not exactly the same as
> what you were asking, but it is handy.
>
> PS vertex weight normalization could benefit in some situations by
> being
> accessible to the rigger- I believe maya does this- on the other
> hand, I
> recall reading a maya rigging book saying you would never need/want to
> turn it off.

Really?  Try painting weights in maya sometime.  It's hell.  It's so
utterly broken it's almost a running joke in maya circles.  Because
of this normalization "feature" subtracting (or smoothing) weight
from one bone adds the weight quite randomly all across the skeleton
(ending up with the foot bone influencing the face for example).
It's buggy, it's broken, it hasn't been fixed since smooth skinning
was introduced.  To some extent, this can be resolved with maya's
"prune weights" script (immediately after binding), but it rarely
resolves all the problems and users are forced to jump through hoops,
often having to resort to manually re-assigning all weights before
painting.  Maya's manual and many books (the best known of which are
proudly endorsed by Alias/Discreet) make it sound like a walk in the
park...  Blender's method of weight painting is a godsend in my
opinion.  Please don't change it.