[Bf-funboard] removal of "add>mesh>Tube"

Michael Crawford psyborgue at mac.com
Mon Apr 2 10:15:13 CEST 2007

On Apr 2, 2007, at 2:45 AM, Campbell Barton wrote:

> We could make the "Cap Ends" option remember the last used value
> for each session (like radius), That means youd only need to set it
> once per usage.

Once per usage.... grr...

> As to weather having a tube is is useful or not, I can imagine if
> you happened to use tube rather then cylinder all the time its a
> bit annoying. but there are objects we dont have that could be more
> useful then tube.

I find tubes quite useful.  Am I truly the only one?

> * hemisphere? - Iv had to make a sphere into a hemisphere more then
> once..

this would be handy (sky domes and such)

> * torus/donut? - less hassle then adding nurbs and then converting.

That would be handy.  One thing that disappoints me, however about
blender, is that nurbs objects, converted to poly, do not retain
their nice texture coordinates.  Especially in the case of a torus
(wraps u and v), it would be nice to have default UV coordinates on
some of the meshes at least.  Blender is seriously lacking in the
area of Nurbs in general.  It's unfortunate the Nurbana integration
was never finished...  As it is right now, Nurbs are the only think i
miss from maya.

> * Dodecahedron- why not, its a cool 3d shape ;)

Why not a buckminster-fuller sphere while we're at it? ;)  It might
be cool, but i'm not sure how often anybody would use it.

> Of course we can have all of them but then you end up with loads of
> object types in your menu, and if some are almost the same its silly.
>
> Ill look at adding a menu for python defined objects also so people
> can do have their own custom data.

that might be nice... Say for example, i could have a library of
commonly used objects in my home dir in a .blend file...  maybe
calling it "lib.blend", if that file exists, browsing the menu would
browse the mesh objects in that file.  For that matter, why not take
that idea further and allow the linking of materials (and possably
other stuff).  I already have such a "lib.blend" file.  It would be
handy to be able to add commonly used stuff without having to go
through the "append" command.