[Bf-funboard] Bcon2006 session: What i wish to have in Blender - X3D

Bart bart at neeneenee.de
Wed Oct 25 14:40:52 CEST 2006

Hi all,

at The Bconf 2006 i talked a lot to Toni which give me a lot of hints
about Python and we discussed some holes i found in the Python API, so
here is my wish list for X3D (some stuff depends on Blender itself):

Generell:
As Blender X3D has DEF/USE syntax
(http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html) for originals and
instances so it would be fine to have always "hasUsers" and "users" for
any kind of objects.
In order to "hasParent" or "getParent" it would be fine to have for any
kind of objects "hasChildren" or "getChildren"

World F8
- access to "Mist" and "Stars" button (pressed or not) in World at panel
	Mist/Stars/Physics
	(Fog http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#Fog )

Sound
- access to "Loop" button (pressed or not) in panel Sound (btw. normally
	Loop is in Blender named Cyclic)
	(Sound and AudioClip
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#Sound
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#AudioClip )

Text3D:
- access to the "U","B","I" style buttons at panel Font in Editing F9
- all pother properties in the block at the bottom of this panel (Size,
	linedist, Word spacing etc.)
- it would be cool to know when at the Textstring a new line was
	starting, best would be to have it equal to the text editor
	window
- It would be much better Blender would deal with the font family name
	instead of the font file name or there would be a funtion to
	call to get the font family
(Text and FontStyle:
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#Text
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#FontStyle )

Mapping:
- anyway the user uses UV mapping or simple mapping, it would be cool
	getting the calculated texture coordinates from Blender to
	export them (panel Map Input in Material F5)
- acess to the Buttons "Tangent" and "Stress" for module MTex.texco
- in order to the "Offset" and "Size" in Panel "MapInput" having
	"Rotation"
	(TextureTransform
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html#TextureTransform )

Text Editor Window
- having a Script Menu right side of "Format" in the header bar for
	creating wizzard or functions script for the text editor window
	incl. functions like getSelected(), find(String),
	replace(string) etc.
	http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/editor.png
- Sytax highlighting for other languages based on XML structured files
	http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/editor.png

Misc:
- Support for DirectDraw Surface (DDS) and JPEG200 format because they
	often used in web3d/ realtime3d
	http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/dds/
- Support for MP3 and OGG files
- Seperate by Material (may Sperate by vertex group too:
	http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9929 )
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/seperate01.png

Karamba!
Bart.