[Bf-funboard] Bcon2006 session: What i wish to have in Blender - screens

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Wed Oct 25 14:29:33 CEST 2006

> Good stuff!
> Layer name/color and a manager for what objects in the layer is
> good for
> the accessibility I think.
>
> I want add some things too.
>
> When you right-clicking on a group-member, is it possible to select
> the
> group and the clicked object becomes the active one?
>
> Is it possible to have unique colors for groups also? Or is it too
> much?

I think the general consensus among the lead interface people has
been that color is used for wireframes and selection outline to give
very relevant information (active,grouped,linked), and that applying
a layer- or group-based color scheme would really mess with that.
Personally, I agree with that.

Things that could help with group and layer visualization, though,
would be hover-key highlighting. Here's what I mean -- you hover the
mouse over an object, then hold down a modifier key, say Ctrl-Shift.
While you hold it down, it brightens all the objects in the hovered-
object's group, or layer depending on the key combo.

One other thing that would help would be to be able to set certain
layers to display as ghosts, like a Scene Set or the armature ghosts,
and to allow you to lock layers from selectability.

Roland Hess
harkyman