[Bf-funboard] Re: making inputs of some nodes resolution independent

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Wed Nov 15 19:08:41 CET 2006

Hi,
kaikostack at gmx.net (2006-11-15 at 0721.36 +0100):
> for pixel based nodes in the node editor ("blur" and "translate" at
> least), it would be useful, if they could also use percentage values of
> the frame size as input factors, instead of just pixels. the final image
> shouldn't change with a different resolution, in my opinion.
>
> let's take a blur node setup for example. assumed a render resolution
> of 640x480, you'd like to have a blur factor of 64x64 pixels. now i think,
> it would be better to enter just 10% for x and y, instead of 64 pixels.
> the base of the percentage value could be the longer coordinate
> (in this case x with 640) for best accuracy.

You are leaving AspY and AspX out of the maths, and they matter if you
are getting serious at resolution independance. Take for example a
render for computer that you want to rerender for PAL or worse, PAL
16:9 (not HD). The Art and Science of Digital Compositing book has a
demo with a smiley face of what happens if you ingore pixel aspect.

GSR