[Bf-funboard] Hello, and transform-modeling centric stuff

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 00:32:21 CET 2006

--- Bassam Kurdali <bkurdali at freefactory.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 08:21 -0800, Martin Poirier
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks Bassam for starting this conversation, I
> hope
> > more people jump in.
> No problem Martin- Until someone does, I will bother
> with some more
> comments/ideas:
> It seems that transform (location scale rotate) uses
> the same motion for
> each element moved- even selecting individual
> centers changes the
> center, but not the space of the transformation. The
> one exception to
> this is the ancient scale along normals
> option.(there may be more that
> I'm forgetting).

Indeed, you forgot the principal. Any of the
previously mentioned transformation (rotate, scale,
translate) uses per-data constraint when doing local
axis constraining in Object Mode. Try it, it's fun
(and underused).

> This would be nice to change for many situations:
> 1- when working in "crazy space" of a deformed mesh
> (never mind the
> crazy aspect) one still needs to move one point at a
> time; this is to
> avoid points deformed in different ways moving
> according to their
> deformation- it would be nice if you could move a
> bunch of points
> together, an each would get it's own crazy space
> back calculation- and
> thus transformation applied- individually, and they
> would all appear to
> move the same in the deformed state.

AFAIK, that's how it works right now already. I did a
quick test and vertice from the start of a bone chain
deformation selected with vertice from the end where
transformed (translation) correctly.

If you can create a counter example .blend file, I'd
like to see it.

> 2-might be a nice option for extrude region

Extrude region with non-contiguous region could use
per-region "normals", yes. It's just a matter of
plugging region awareness code in the transform
conversion pass.

> 3-back to animation- you could select all the
> fingers in the character
> and rotate them the same 'local' way, without
> worrying about the
> orientation of the hands.

Per bones you mean? Yes, that'd be nice and shouldn't
be too hard (it's like per object local axis
constraints really).

Martin