[Bf-funboard] User Interface, Mouse Specifically

Matt Hissong cpusorcerer at hotmail.com
Thu May 11 15:54:11 CEST 2006

Hi!

     I would like to add some functionality to the Blender interface by
giving the mouse more power in the graphics window.  Maya can do more with
zooming, translation and rotation by dedicating the mouse to that in the
graphics window.  Since Blender's motto may be "one hand on the mouse, one
hand on the keyboard," doesn't it make sense to give the mouse more power so
that the user can use his keyboard hand for more?  Also, while I don't find
the rest of Blender's interface objectionable, not being able to zoom,
translate and rotate with the mouse is a pain.  I know I'm stuck in
Maya-mode, but in respect to the mouse, it's really efficient!  I really
don't see how this would make Blender's interface less efficient even if
you're in the Blender mode of thinking.  You have less keyboard keys to
press, and you could get A TON of new migrants to Blender this way.  I have
friends that use a demo version of Maya and would like to use something
about as powerful without STEALING IT, but they find Blender's mouse
configuration loathsome.  I know many Blender developers find their
interface a strength compared to the commercial 3D modeling packages, and
bristle at the suggestion that their interface could take ANY lesson from
the others, but really, think about it.  It's one change that would really
be for the better, I think.  Let me know what YOU think.
     In that spirit, let's talk about developing this bad boy.  Now, I read
something about not being able to change the Events System- which I don't
think I'd have to do.  In that same note(on the wiki), it said that a change
to the user interface, which merely USES the events system, would be
allowed, however.  I think this is correct, but I just wanted to verify
that.  Also, if this has been attempted before, or if there's anything else
you feel I should know, please let me know.  After hearing comments for a
while I'll probably set up a project and get cranking on this.  If someone
else beats me to it, hey, fantastic, maybe I can help.  It may be a small
project or a large one, I really have very little concept at this point of
how deeply buried that functionality is and how much fiddling it would take
to alter it to my vision.
     Also, if people have objections to a mandatory interface change, this
could be an optional selection.  Perhaps on the first startup of Blender,
the system could ask if the user would like to have the original Blender
mouse interface or the Maya-style mouse interface.  I get my innovation, and
nobody else is inconvenienced.  Everybody wins!  Though I think this new
interface, if it works well, should be the default.  But we can decide that
if we get it working!
     Your thoughts, please!  Thank you for your time and consideration!

Sincerely,
Matt Hissong