[Bf-funboard] What I would wish for...

Chris Burt desoto at exenex.com
Sun Jan 22 02:50:07 CET 2006

It would indeed be nice if the grid changed to reflect the preferences
of the user. I would prefer my grid units to be cut into 12ths for
example because every foot is one inch. I'm working on a project right
now where the silly imperial units I'm used to (and yes.. I'm American
and I'll readily acknowledge its silly) don't work well for a grid split
into 10ths. The reason users can't adopt the metric system is that in
the United States, building materials and design standards are written
in imperial units. If you present a design to an engineer, a
manufacturer, or a common individual, they're not going to be able to
visualize the metric system simply because that isn't what we're raised
on or educated with. Its not because we're all idiots. If we'd started
with the far-superior metric units, we'd all be just as well-versed in
them as any other country which teaches them from infancy onward.

SO! Rather than dispute which system is better or which country has
silly units, supporting a simple conversion system (which is really just
multiplication obviously) would benefit everyone who uses blender just
as much as offering international support for fonts and translations
does. Its the EXACT same concept only with units instead of language.
Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned. And a no-brainer as far as
internationalization goes. Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
--Chris