[Bf-funboard] Improving scaling and xyz keys

juho.vepsalainen at fi.nu juho.vepsalainen at fi.nu
Tue Jan 17 17:08:58 CET 2006

>Hi

>--- juho.vepsalainen at fi.nu wrote:

>> I have two proposals to make:
>>
>> 1st proposal:
>> Currently when you are scaling, you can lock the
>> scaling to
>> an axis with x, y and z key. I propose v key added
>> to the
>> group. v key would be used so that when user hits
>> it, the
>> verts/object is scaled on the viewport axis'.
>>
>> Example:
>> 1. The user selects some verts and hits s to scale.
>> 2. The user hits v to scale in x-y axis'. (note: he
>> is
>> currently in the top view)
>
>You can already do that, just select View from the
>orientation dropdown in the 3D view header, then press
>X, Y or Z twice.

Would it be possible to change the orientation while
scaling?
Most of the time I am at the local orientation and I very
rarely use the feature. Thank you for pointing out that
trick.

>> 2nd proposal:
>> The current layout of x, y and z keys is not the
>> easiest to
>> use. I propose alternative solution for this problem
>> to be
>> added as an option to Blender. The solution is to
>> move x, y
>> and z to q, w and e buttons. (and to r if v
>> mentioned in
>> 1st proposal is used too)
>> If x, y and z axis were in q, w and e buttons, it
>> would
>> speed up the workflow because they would fit right
>> under
>> the fingers.
>
>On that matter, Z, X, C would probably be best, you'd
>just have to remember that C is Y, but that's a bit
>silly anyway, X, Y and Z are already pretty easy to
>hit with one hand and the correspondance is a good as
>far as UI goes (try telling someone that Q,W,E is
>X,Y,Z and watch them laugh).

I agree that z, x and c would be better. The second point
is valid too though I find myself searching for the y at
times but I can live with that.