[Bf-funboard] idea to replace center cursor and friends

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at freefactory.org
Fri Dec 29 01:22:08 CET 2006

hmm, basically what I meant was to use "normal " object mode transform,
but have a mode where it just affects object centers. You would select
objects as usual, do transformations, snapping, multiple selections,
around cursor -etc. all the convenience of transform, without moving any
object data (barring mishaps due to parenting relationships, which the
current system suffers from anyway). When done, detoggle the mode, and
you're back to normal. I'm told maya does this using the insert key as a
toggle.
multiple pivot points is an interesting idea, but totally out of the
scope of my original one, and as far as I can tell , independent from
it.
If we're on a roll of asking for extra things, I'd say some way to
animate a pivot point would rock (more than multiple pivot points)...
think of IK, and feet...mmm... that could be accomplished by some
bizarro "pivot" constraint and animating the target object, but I
somehow doubt that would work. I know some tools (CAT I think) lets you
animate pivots and even the location of the Ik solver on a chain, but
have no idea how they accomplish this (admittedly awesome) feat.
Bassam