[Bf-funboard] Re: the Quit/confirm/quit.blend issue

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Wed Dec 20 13:40:32 CET 2006

One of the programs I use frequently (Mercury mail server) has
something I really like called "Hard Quit". It's an option, but I
can't imagine running without it. With Hard Quit disabled, the
program functions normally (i.e. choosing Quit from the file menu or
hitting the Windows "X" kills the prog). With Hard Quit enabled, the
user must hold down Ctrl while choosing Quit from the file menu to
stop the program. Every other method of "quitting" just minimizes.

The problem isn't that users quit *on purpose* without saving their
work, thinking that they'll get a "save before quit?" message. The
problem is that users quit *inadvertently* because the shortcut for
quit is so easy to mistakenly strike, and they are used to
reflexively clicking through OK confirmations.

The better solution by far than fooling around with extra dialogue
boxes, temp paths, etc., is just to remove Q-key as the shortcut for
quit. Make it a "harder quit" with Ctrl-Alt-Q. That way you only quit
when you mean it. Heck, from now on, all builds I post for community
use will have the straight Q-Key for quit disabled.

Roland Hess
harkyman