[Bf-funboard] thoughts for game engine improvements

Doug Ollivier doug at mudpuddle.co.nz
Wed Dec 20 11:04:02 CET 2006

Yep this is one of the most important improvements blender could get....
and anyone who says but it has "quit.blend" should consider the
following, and also consider many people are either not as patient,
experienced or intelligent as you.

1) Temp directory on windows doesn't work by default. and blender does
not "warn" that the temp directory will fail. (and nobody whos new to
blender knows where the settings can be found)

2) Quit.blend is highly likely to be overwritten by someone who doesn't
know it exists.

3) Blender has no "auto recovery" feature at all, so the user is even
less likely to realise its there.

However interestingly enough, blenders file versioning system is better
than any software i have ever used (blend1 - blend32, all automatically
done is fantastic)

possible solutions to the problem/frustration include,
a) Adding a save on quit dialogue.
b) Offering quit.blend1 through quit.blend5 by default (to avoid
accidentally wiping over)
c) showing a warning on open, that the tmp path is not working. (so its
not found out "after the fact"

All solutions would have a beneficial effect on blender

This stuff is all included in my Blendergo "random things" document
which i will be posting shortly, it includes many common frustrations,
as have been pointed out by real users. and tries to offer multiple
solutions for each.  It would be sad to have all this stuff ignored.  Is
there some kind of "ergonomics" bug reporting system.  currently we have
standards for code, but none for usability.

Doug Ollivier (Alltaken)