[Bf-funboard] Pack/Unpack for moving projects

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Fri Dec 15 06:40:59 CET 2006

Hi, Id like to clarify somthing,

is pack, unpack meant to be for moving projects between PC's?

say you dont have all your images in //textures and you want to open
your blend on your mates laptop.
at the moment packing, copying, unpacking works but messes up your
filenames because it uses the image name for the unpacked filename.

This makes it not useable because you end up with images like
my_image_001.pn rather then .png because the name was too long.
Blender reads it but it means other apps wont know what type it is.

if pack/unpack is not intended to be a way top migrate projects, we need
some tools to do this.

I have written a python script but maybe it should be removed and
pack/unpack improved.