[Bf-funboard] On the subject of object IDs and renderpasses

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at freefactory.org
Thu Dec 7 05:11:33 CET 2006

I saw some mention on the blender cvs and committer's list about object
IDs in renderpasses.
Back when I used Max, you could assign IDs to materials or objects.
Several materials could use the same ID, and they were used to
selectively apply effects in MAX's video post. The same seems to be the
case for the old blender glow texture and sequence plugin- indeed, glow
was the primary use for that feature in MAX.
Now, is it the case with blender renderpasses that several objects can
share the same ID? I can see that being useful, especially if the
principle is expanded so materials can get assigned IDs too.ID's per
object are not that useful, since you can put an object quite easily on
a renderlayer by itself, but there are cases where you might want that
object rendered with something else, but have only that object glow or
something.... like a light reflected in a mirror, or something.