[Bf-funboard] Re: ShadowBuf name

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Sat Dec 2 07:06:25 CET 2006

On 02/12/2006, at 07:18 AM, GSR wrote:

> OTOH, those new names hide any option of looking for paper that
> explain how and why things happen. It reminds me of those chemical /
> car / software companies that hide generic things (cyano glue,
> variable injection, sorting algorithm...) behind cryptic trade names
> and acronyms (SuperDuperGlue, VITXplus, FooIntelliSystem), to create a
> brand, confuse the buyer or negate the information to competitors

Ah, but that's a false dichotomy - that's not what we're proposing at
all. No-one's saying to make some lame brand out of it like
'HyperShadow Pro X' or something, and nobody is saying that all
technical information should be removed completely.

To continue your glue analogy, currently it's like walking through
the supermarket and seeing boxes on the shelf called "Cyanoacrylate
compound". I'm proposing to call it "Strong fast-setting glue" with
the exact ingredients still there, on the back of the pack. Perhaps
all the glue engineers are horrified at that thought, and speak in
hushed tones about how the supermarket's all dumbed down, but I'm
glad they're not the ones deciding on what I have to choose from in
the aisle.

There's plenty of room for technicalities in the tooltip and in a
reference manual. The point is to provide the appropriate kind of
information where it's most relevant. In the interface where things
are tweaked for a visual result, it should be something simple and
understandable that describes the practical effects that it has.

There is going to be text in the interface, something in a tooltip,
something in a manual, in any case. The trick is to weigh up which
information is most useful in which situation, and how useful it is
*at that time* compared to other information. What information is
more relevant and useful to an artist, who is in the middle of the
task of trying to get their shadows to look a certain way? The name
of the algorithm that is used, or a description of what it looks like?

The names 'irregular' or 'classical' or whatever algorithm names on
their own do not carry any inherent meaning. Calling them
"flurblebrop shadows" would communicate just about the same amount of
meaning to the average artist. It's just a name that's representative
of something else, that then has to go though one extra step of
translation in the minds of artists, from programmer language
(irregular) -> plain English (causes sharp shadows) -> visual result,
and going through this thought process is completely irrelevant and
extra mental overhead to the visual task of deciding how you want
your shadows to look.

Artists don't and shouldn't need to understand the technical process
to understand the result. Often one can learn through experience that
one thing produces some kind of result and something else produces
some other result. It wasn't so long ago that I didn't know how
raytracing worked, but I knew that it was slow to process, and it
enabled reflections and refractions, and that was good enough for me
to get stuff done.

> OTOH, those new names hide any option of looking for paper that
> explain how and why things happen.

Not at all, if you *do* want to know the technical details of how it
works or what name programmers like to give to that process, you
should be able to of course! Nobody's trying to censor that
information. But that's not the job of main button label in the
interface, it's the job of a manual or tooltip or something, and
artists shouldn't be *forced* to go reading computer science papers
to learn about the technicalities of the process just to get stuff
done. You're not going to learn anything by the word 'irregular' on
it's own anyway, which makes it much more relevant in a reference
text which can explain the process rather than just give a single
word. It's also much easier to do a web search for more information
from there when you're in an explorational train of thought, than it
is when you're in the middle of doing test renders with a deadline
coming!

Matt

Matt Ebb . matt at mke3.net . http://mke3.net