[Bf-funboard] Re: ShadowBuf name

Konrad Haenel public at konrad-haenel.de
Fri Dec 1 22:47:09 CET 2006

How about the other way around: descriptive names for the shadow types
and the real name of the algorithm in the tooltip. I would guess that
the vast majority of artists will not really be that interested in the
intricate details of the algorithms if their initial selection gets the
job done. And once they're at a level where they actually read up on the
shadow-calculation details it won't matter to them how it's named in
Blender, they'll know wich is which anyway.

Although I understand the desire for precision in naming items I don't
think there's a compelling reason for it. At the same time it's obvious
how descriptive naming would improve workflows. I'd really rather opt
for the more artist-friendly interface in contrast to a more
engineer-oriented one.

Never forget: digital creation is all about workflows. Good workflows
make the difference.

Greets,

konrad_ha