[Bf-funboard] ShadowBuf name

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Fri Dec 1 05:19:28 CET 2006

I agree that this is a big problem. None of the current names give
users any sort of indication of what they look like or what they
should be used for. As Campbell mentions, the names are not only
unhelpful, but they're misleading too! -
* Halfway, giving the meaning of something that only does a half as
good job, as if it's some kind of speed-optimisation hack and also
* Irregular, meaning uneven or rough (which is the exact opposite of
what those shadow types are used for - sharp shadows!)

The details on the specific algorithms involved are meaningless to
the vast majority of artists who just want a visual result, and
belong in a reference manual, not the interface. In the UI here which
is all about tweaking things to get a certain appearance, any names
that can help a user understand what that visual result will be, is
helpful here. Otherwise it's just a matter of selecting various
combinations of variables and rendering, over and over again, which
is a pretty ridiculous way of working.

My suggestions would be something simple and communicative like:
- Legacy
- Soft
- Sharp

With legacy being the old style approach that I presume is only there
for backwards compatibility, Soft being normal shadow buffers and
Sharp being the irregular ones. Perhaps something like 'Versatile' or
'Flexible' would be better than Soft since those can also become
sharp to an extent...?

In any case, names that actually help artists in understanding what
these do, unlike the tech-centered names that are there currently
would be a big improvement.

cheers,

Matt

Matt Ebb . matt at mke3.net . http://mke3.net