[Bf-funboard] Object Modifiers

Chris Burt desoto at exenex.com
Mon Aug 14 04:35:20 CEST 2006

Good Day/Night/Morning/Evening all,

As per some discussion on IRC about "Object Modifiers" I have begun the
following proposal document:

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/ObjectModifiers

Any questions, comments, suggestions, edits welcome. The individuals
most involved with preliminary discussion were Campbell Barton, Ed
Halley, Ben Batt, and myself (Chris Burt). We think the concept is
pretty solid and would be interested to hear from others on the matter.

For those of you who don't want to click the link a quick summary:

Object Modifiers are similar to Mesh Modifiers with the exception that
they do not alter underlying mesh data. Instead these modifiers can only
alter object data and create instances of objects.

A good example of a useful Object Modifier would be the proposed Array
Object Modifier which, unlike its "meshy" counterpart would not merge
vertices or create a single mesh which included all of the duplicates.
Instead it would function in a manner similar to the DupliFrames or
DupliVerts features which create non-editable instances of the
duplicated object. The modifier, once applied by clicking.. you guessed
it.. "Apply", would create individual objects which are instances
(linked duplicates) of the original with individual object centers.

Again, questions and comments welcome.

Thanks!

Regards,
--Chris