[Bf-funboard] Notes for objects

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Aug 25 05:55:11 CEST 2005

> In Blender an Empty object has mostly a special task and after
> sometimes a project is over it is hard to remember what the special
> task of an empty was.

Yes, I would have had use for this a few times, particularly when
sharing .blends with others.

On 25/08/2005, at 13:44 PM, Chris Burt wrote:
> Just out of curiosity.. why not parent a text object as a note?
>
> Seems like it has more than enough functionality to me...

Well it's pretty kludgy having 3d text objects floating around in the
view, just for annotations, especially if it's more than a couple of
lines. In order to read it, you'd have to zoom in/change your view/
etc which is inconvenient.

I think a better solution would be to give empties the ability to
link to Blender text editor datablocks, rather than adding some kind
of text field to the empty itself. So in the empty edit panel there'd
just be a std_libbuttons() style datablock chooser, with a little
button that could make that particular text block visible in the text
editor.

Matt