[Bf-funboard] Particle groups

Chris Burt desoto at blender.spaceisbig.com
Tue Aug 23 02:18:39 CEST 2005

I second that. In fact, there needs to be a lot of thought done about
the current design and implementation of particle systems. Lots of good
ideas could come from discussions with users like this that push the
current system to its limits. I myself have often thought that particle
systems should should have the option of being created by an "emitter
object" instead of a mesh. This way the emitter object could be
duplicated, IPO'ed etc with particle system data attached to it much the
same way materials are now. I did a little work on the UI of this in the
wiki here:

http://wiki.blender.org/pub/Blenderdev/ParticlesIA/particles_panel.png

The obvious idea is that particles become a data set just like every
other aspect of blender. This would make working with large numbers of
emitters somewhat trivial. Just my 2 cents..

Regards,
--Chris