[Bf-funboard] UV mapping per texture channel or IM name

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu Aug 18 16:51:13 CEST 2005

Hi,

A few comments about the UV proposals:

 > The view behaviors 'C' for center (Active Face Select better
 > using 'Alt+B') view and 'Numpad ,' for zoom selected are
 > missing too.

C centres the view around the cursor in the 3d view, but there
is no cursor in the UV editor. 'View Selected' and 'View All'
were added in 2.37.

 > A command to clear unused images from the image list
 > (dropdown at the header bar) would be useful too.

This is not going to happen. Not because it is a bad feature,
but because there is a technical  issue: datablocks are only
deleted on save/reload. I can't get around that.

 > A command 'Delete UV Coordionates' with shortcut 'X'
 > would be fine, like you would press 'TexFace Delete' button
 > at 'Editing' in panel Mesh.

I don't see how this is that useful, or even consistent with the
behaviour of the X key in other modes. X key deletes what
you have selected, this would only add confusion in my opinion.

 > The Data Browse and the image selection dropdown
 > should be sorted by name!

Agreed.

 > Using SubSurf it would be great if UV/Image Editor
 > showing the Subsurf  mesh too and not just the original
 > low poly mesh. So you don't need not convert SubSurf
 > to mesh to be able to mapping the object via UV/Image Editor.

Subsurf will be integrated much better. In fact, zr just committed
what you requested a few hours ago :).

 > What is needed too is the possibility to have UV coordinates
 > per texture channel (and not global). I would suggest that the
 > UV coordinates should belong to the IM name of an image

There will be multiple uv coordinate channels. But attaching
them to an image would be a bad idea because images are
used also for other things than uv mapping, and you might
want to share uv coords for different textures/images.

Instead, there will probably be a list of uv channels for each
mesh.

 > the possibilty for texture repeating when using UV coords
 > (an intresting features for exporters in other formats too).

I don't get this one. The texture repeats by default already?