[Bf-funboard] Fake Area-Lights

Arne Schmitz arne.schmitz at mmweg.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Aug 15 23:56:18 CEST 2005

Am Montag, 15. August 2005 17:53 schrieb Konrad Haenel:
> Fake area-lights using arrays of shadow-mapped spotlights
>
> preface: Before area-lights became widely available it was a common
> technique to cluster an array of shadow-mapped spotlights to simulate
> soft-shadows. Though this method has clear limitations it works
> surprisingly well in many situations. At the same time it often greatly
> reduces rendering-time compared to real raytraced area-lights.

Couldn't that be done by some Python script? I remember, many, many moons ago,
that there already was a technique to do this using dupliverted spotlights
and for example a circle path or a subdivided mesh. This was easy to set up
and handle and could even track other objects (just make the circle TrackTo
the desired object). The diameter of the circle would influence the softness
of the shadow.

Arne

--
Computer Graphics Group, RWTH Aachen, http://www-i8.informatik.rwth-aachen.de