[Bf-funboard] X,Y,Z

Hovergo hovergo at net-tech.com.au
Mon Apr 25 03:44:02 CEST 2005

Se below

Jean Montambeault wrote:

> patrik at linet.se a écrit :
>
>> Ok, but on drawings, don't you use X as horizontal Y as vertical and
>> Z as
>> depth?
>> / Patrik
>>

>>> Blender uses the standard OpenGL axis. You are wrong :)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> --Chris
>>>

> There is no wrong of right way to do it. Different conventions are in
> use in different soft. In AutoCAD, for example, the positive Z axis is
> up. In Povray it is the opposite.
>
> Since this choice is quite arbitrary I really don't think that it
> should matter in the least bit.
>
> Jean

---------===============-----------------
Orientation only matters when one sends the blender drawing to another
program, say, for measuring or putting measurements on the drg, then the
axes are wrong and the drawing has to be re-oriented. I often use vrml
to switch between blender and Turbocad and back, orientation goes way
off,  DXF is no good for interchange because the rendering quality is
very bad and some vertexes go missing.

To get around this Blender needs a line tool to do limit lines, then a
dimension line tool with resizable arrowheads, the user can type in any
2d text / measuerment required.

Another question.
Why are  angle lines of edges in a non square mechanical drawing so
ragged,  in other drawing programs lines are quite good - even blurring
in gimp doesnt get rid of the jaggedness. How can I fix this.

Why is camera and user lighting so far off in comparison to zkey (solid
render) of a drawing.

It is extreemly difficult to get camera orientation correct to show the
identical view to a screen shot image and the lighting is very difficult
to get right.

I'd love to be able to turn off the grid, get rid of the centre dots,
orient the image then solid render (zkey) and take  a screen shot.
Gimp  [crop] disposes of the menus but cannot get rid of the grid.

Roger