[Bf-funboard] 3 Seperate Clipboards :(

Luke Wenke iljwamh1234567890 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 1 12:41:11 CEST 2005

> I think 2 clipboards could be very useful if they have good shortcuts.

I agree, and I think the text editor should keep its current hotkeys -
Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V and Ctrl-X. They are the standard hot-keys for copy, paste,
and cut in most applications where things like files, text, images, 3d
objects, video, sound, etc are edited. After all, Ctrl-Z is a blender
hotkey. I think it makes it easier to learn blender. The Alt-C/V/X hotkeys
could remain in the text-editor as well but I think Ctrl-C/V/X should be the
hotkeys listed in the edit menu. It shouldn't be too hard to make the text
editor hotkeys use the system clipboard like other programs do.
Ideally I think Ctrl-C/V/X should also work all of the other windows. That
would require some hotkeys to change but so would your idea. I know that
having only one clipboard means that you can only store one item at a time,
but you could have a clipboard buffer in blender. Basically when you cut or
copy, an icon (and perhaps a little text) would appear in a little window.
When you paste, it would repeatedly paste the last relevant thing you cut or
copied (the most recent piece of text or 3d model) The most recent item
could be put in the system clipboard (may not be possible for 3d objects).
You could be able to click on the clipboard buffer window to select an item
then use Ctrl-V to paste that item. The item could sometimes paste as soon
as you click the item in the clipboard buffer window because often you need
to specify a screen location for it to be pasted to - well in the case of
the 3d window and text-editor the 3d cursor and caret.