[Bf-funboard] Question on appending

Vania Smrkovski vania at pandorasdream.com
Sun Sep 12 04:45:00 CEST 2004

Malefico,
	You're not the first to ask this.  As it currently stands, the Blender
interface supports "Append" and "Link" as the only ways to import items from
an external .blend file.  Plus, there is a decent script option available at
this link:
http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/234PythonDoc/Library-module.html.
Finally, there is at least one project trying to come up with a workflow to
allow multiple files to work together pretty much as you describe.

Append:  A one-time import.  As I have been able to determine, import an
Object, you get most everything it is associated with.  So if you want the
mesh, textures, etc, just get the Object, and I believe you will get
everything.

Link:  Available through the Append menu option, you can select a button
labeled "Link", and you get the object in that file with only the file size
addition needed to reference that file.  I don't know the internals, but you
already picked out the one major limitation with Link.  The object can't be
moved.  Or at least, as of 2.32, you can move it, but the next time you open
the file, nothing you saved included saving the changes to the linked file.
Link is good if you want to have objects in multiple files and you know you
don't have to worry about moving anything.  I do not know what happens if you
script, IPO, use game logic on objects linked to external files, but I assume
most cases should cause no problems if you name your objects uniquely.  So if
you Link to the Object in the external file, any scripting or animation you
did in that file should (should) be imported as well.

The Python script described in the link above:  This is one of the
cornerstones for the script I have been working on.  But on its own, it's
pretty educational.  The Blender Library module provides for the ability to
load files from external files any time you run the file, and modification of
the script allowed me to create a pretty handy import/update script by adding
logic to check if the object was already in my target file, and to delete it
first before importing the object from the library.

Finally, my Blender Project Management Toolkit:  It is still very preliminary,
but if you are interested, you can visit
https://projects.blender.org/projects/blenderproject/ to see the project
site.  The toolkit is designed to use a database (no DB server necessary) to
manage projects, subprojects and external library files.  I can't say I know
when we'll have something ready for prime-time, it's largely experimental.
But it is designed to address needs I had for my project that sound like they
might be similar to what you've been trying to do, so I hope you can drop in
on that link and get involved.  Having managed to get the technical hurdles
solved, I'm getting bogged down in figuring out exactly how to implement the
workflow.  How can it be used and be useful to other people than just my
skewered brain?

So to answer, Blender can do it now, but it needs some tweaking, and at least
one feature complete Python solution is being worked on, though others
probably already exist and I haven't heard of them yet.

Cheers,

Vania