[Bf-funboard] GPU accelerated rendering

Konrad Haenel public at konrad-haenel.de
Mon Oct 18 13:35:14 CEST 2004

Some obvious idea considering today's hardware:

GPU accelerated rendering

Recently the "Parthenon"-renderer was mentioned in the blender.org
forums. It's a DirectX-accelerated full-GI renderer with, IMHO,
unbelievable rendering-speed. Which is no wonder considering the visual
detail modern graphic-cards can display in real-time.

I think the whole idea of harvesting the GPU's power for faster
rendering will become one of the major topics in the next generation of
3D-applications and I'd really love to be able to use something like it
in Blender.

It doesn't have to be GI like in Parthenon, but a simple
hardware-accelerated rendering including

- textures for color and normals
- lambert- and blinn-shading
- all lights with their parameters like intensity, color,
falloff-distance etc.
- shadow maps
- z-transparency
- anti-aliasing

would ease work on animations a lot.

For fascinating examples and even more fascinating rendering-times check out

http://www.bee-www.com/parthenon/index.htm

Greetings,

Konrad