[Bf-funboard] idea for working with ultrahigh poly mesh in realtime

Tom Musgrove tommusgrove__ at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 05:26:13 CEST 2004

could we do the following

1) create a low poly representation of the mesh (using decimate for
instance)- this is used for rotation, scaling etc. - say 20000 polygons or
so, something that blender can handle easily.
2) have face bins based on x,y, normal
based on what part of the model is visible, we retrieve the associated face
bins and display them once the model is static again (during rotations we
are only operating on the low poly model).  On a save, the face bin data is
translated to the original mesh.

I think this might open the door for utterly huge models with real time
interaction on even humble computers.

What do you think?

Tom M.
LetterRip