[Bf-funboard] Un-build effect

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Nov 25 00:23:55 CET 2004

On 25 Nov 2004, at 9:11 AM, Robert Wenzlaff wrote:

> At 10:26 PM 11/23/04, you wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since there is already a 'build' effect, there should also be an
>> 'un-build' one. This might be useful for showing a snowman melting??
>>
>> However, is it possible to have the build effect fill-in random faces
>> as an alternative to revealing them in a sort of spiral?
>
> The real question is whether we take time to extend this feature, or
> port it to a python script and remove it from the C codebase.  Setting
> the alpha on a face is not particularly processor intensive, even for
> large meshes, and since it's a relatively obscure effect, it seems
> down grading it to the status of "plug-in" seems logical.
>
> Along those same lines, could the effects system be set up for real
> plug-ins?

That is something I'd love to see - the concept of effects is great,
it's similar to Max's modifier stack (
http://www.bergen.org/AAST/Projects/3DSMaxTutorial/modifiers.html ),
and there's lots of potential for other useful non-destructive effects,
like noise, twist, taper, bend, to sphere.

Of this this is more of a tricky request than a nice easy clean-up, but
what I'd really like to see is for the effects to be made more of a
generic system, where special 'effect' python scripts could be loaded
as effects too, with the different variables exposed as Ipos, along
with other controls like an Influence Ipo too. But that could just be
dreaming :)

Matt