[Bf-funboard] Helpmenu links...

Daniel Fairhead bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 25 May 2004 19:28:48 +0300

Hi Jiri,

> it works for me :-), but this link doesn't work properly (Help->Report a
> Bug):

yeah.. Do you think "report a bug" is a good idea to have?

> btw: I use this script for opening new url (Linux/UNIX)
>
>     #!/bin/bash
>     mozilla_browser=/opt/firefox/firefox
>     ${mozilla_browser} -remote "openURL(${1}, new-tab)" ||
> ${mozilla_browser} $1 &

right. but the trouble is finding out what a persons default browser
is. I'm following the proposed $BROWSER variable:

 http://www.catb.org/~esr/BROWSER/

which seems the most sensible. I have written (and can make even more
cleaver) the beginnings of a monster-algo which searches for the default
browser (

is $BROWSER set?
--use that.
else is gnome running?
--ask gnome for default.
else is kde running?
--ask kde.
else is xfce-4 running?
--ask that.
else is enlightenment running?
--ditto.
none of the above?
--check for last instance of [firefox or mozilla or dillo (etc)]
--in .bash_history, and similar.
Still nothing?
--check default paths, for browser.
Still nothing?
-- ask user :)

) but that is *ugly* and the code for asking gnome is alone 20 or so lines :-/
besides. I think the $BROWSER + ask solution (as now) is the best :)

Dan