[Bf-funboard] A proposal for custom keybindings

Tom Musgrove bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 14 May 2004 13:49:44 +0000

OK here is a short term solution for custom keybindings - it is compile
time, so it isn't the correct long term solution.  However, it is trivial to
do now, and it makes a future 'real solution' much eaiser to implement.

Essentially we set up a file that for each key has a really long name that
describes the function

ie

EDITMODE_SELECT_MESH = RMB

if there are mulltiple ways to do the same action then the second way is
appended with a 2 ie

EDITMODE_ZOOM = SCROLLMOUSE
EDITMODE_ZOOM2 = ALT+CTRL+LMB

etc.

then, we have the text descriptions above #defined, thus when we go to
compile, we end up with the same code.

However, those who really want different keybindings no longer need to hunt
through dozens of different files.  Also, this could make it much easier to
create predefined sets of keybindings for the popular alternatives.

What do you think?

Tom M.
LetterRip