[Bf-funboard] improvements on workspace-saving

Konrad Haenel bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:34:19 +0100

artists demand: enhanced options for storing different "workspaces"

I dunno whether this has been discussed before, at least I couldn't find
anything like it searching the archives. So here we go:

It appears that Blender 2.32 offers a way of storing window-layouts in a
drop-down menu on the topmost menu-bar. Yet this function is badly
documented (or rather, not at all) and appears to have a major drawback.
Once I change the layout of the currently selected "Datablock" (the
popup-info on that menu, and I know that a DataBlock could be anything
in Blender), it stays this way once I select it again. I change views
all the time, but there are some basic layouts I always want to revert
to. It would come in very handy if it was possible to store (safely) and
have quick access to some general layout options like window-positions
and viewport settings within the windows.

This concept is part of most major 3D-applications which is only
understandable from an artists point of view. It seems that Blender is
already halfway there and (I guess) that it would only take medium
effort to push it far enough to be highly usable.

My two cents for today.

Greetings,

Konrad
www.konrad-haenel.de