[Bf-funboard] rotoscoping-reply

ph bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:55:51 +0100

Hi Landis

>>Very interesting. How did you go about linking another scene to be used as
a background?

  You just make two scenes (info-window header), 'foreground' and
'background'. Then, while being in 'foreground' you switch to the render
buttons and  there, to the left, fourth row, you find the small print named
'set'. There's the white dash and the X. Hover over the white dash and it
will tell you something nice. (classic interface).

>>I cannot believe that I let such a feature slip by!!!

  Then don't   ( :  And you did not let it slip by at all. You used scenes
right from the start. Practically every visible Blender content is inside a
scene (or linked to it to be more precise). It's now only a small step to
use several scenes instead of just one. Enjoy using them.

  Though I don't always have the strength, I usually find it a nice idea to
read a manual like a novel. You won't know everything after that, but at
least, you know what features exist. And I only have the 1.5/1.8 Manual
(with the autograph of a genius in it).

>>I haven't even utilized the "scene" feature of Blender yet! What other
things (off the top of your head) can one do through the use of scenes in
Blender?

  Well, the above is called the 'set' feature. and that describes it
nicely. You can make a town, and then animate your actors without the risk
of selecting buildings, lamps and so on. You can focus on AIRMAN and forget
about the hangar behind him.

  And if you talk about real scenes: One frequent question is how to change
camera positions. Answer: scenes. You link the whole content to 3 scenes.
Only the 3 active cameras are unique to each scene. Then you can easily
switch between scenes and therefore between cameras. Use the sequence editor
to cut the material. You can render them in one piece.

>> What is the benefit of splitting things up into scenes and how does one
control what aspects are rendered in what scenes and what are not or is the
layer info (such as what to render) used as if only one scene was being
used?

  Well, it's a tidy kind of working. First of all you can use scenes as a
workspace. Or you can use scenes for different locations of your movie
(1White House, 2.1Lockheed C-5, 3Dessert, 4Saddi Hussi's toilets,
2.2Lockheed C-5 again, 5Georgie's toilets). Something like that. Imagine all
in one workspace. Ugly mess, right?

  You can do fadings between scenes, so you don't have to render them first.
You can have fun using the alpha channel for compositings, because the
sequence editor treats scenes and movies more or less equal.

  Actually you can share or separate any kind of data. Just like objects and
meshes. handy handy handy.

  Each scene has it's own 20 layers. So even if you linked the object
'Stanley' to two scenes, you can put it to different layers. So you
control almost everything like you normally would. Only difference will be
the appearance of a blue centre dot which indicates that Stanley has
started a multidimensional lifestyle (inhibits several worlds at once) and
is therefore considered a supreme being. And Stanley will move in both
scenes while you animate it in only one.

Not to forget: scenes play a very important role in the game engine
(separate levels, introscreens, save dialog etc)

And to be a little bit ontopic: scenes are a useful feature that should be
kept   q:

Peter

P.S.: Important shortcut on selected Object(s): Ctrl-Lkey