[Bf-funboard] Adaptive displacement mapping.

bf-funboard@blender.org bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:00:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, Chando wrote:

> Hi,
> I find it very the whole displacement mapping thing kind of akward. Instead of subdividing a mesh into billions of faces, I think could better be organized this way:
> 1) Apply the displacement map directly over you low poly mesh.
> 2) Then a routine will adaptively subdivide the mesh according to a "quality" parameter along the value gradients of the displacement map.
> 3) Finally displace the map.
>
> In other words,  subdivide more heavily in areas where there are lots of heights differences, and do almost no subdivision where the height changes are non existing or almost negilable. This should leave you with a more managable poly count.

Well, of course. That's totally obvious, but who will code it?

It's a bit like saying "Well, I find the whole Metaball thing kind of akward.
I think it could be organized better by using fluid simulation".

;-)

alex@schnittenparadies.de