[Bf-funboard] Strong Node-Based architecture

Konrad Haenel bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:47:40 +0200

--------------050608080509020301030909

Shodan wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:27:53 +0200
>Konrad Haenel <public@konrad-haenel.de> wrote:
>

>>Did any of you work with Maya or Shake or Avid-DS? What sets these
>>High-End tools so far apart from the competition is their strong
>>node-based architecture. This is something I'd really love to see more
>>emphasized in Blender. This would open a lot more possibilities and make
>>the GUI a lot slimmer at the same time!
>>
>>While working on Avid-DS I realized that over time you start to solve
>>even small tasks with nodes because it's the fastest way to accomplish
>>almost anything. I couldn't think of a more direct way to create results
>>from ideas.
>>

>You'd have taken Houdini as reference rather than Shake or Avid-DS because Compositing workflow isn't the same business than 3D software's workflow.
>Houdini has a node-based architecture, in fact everything is a node and it's pretty powerful but not obvious at the first try.
>But we don't have to follow Houdini, first cause Blender is already advanced and with another philosophy, it would be pretty hard.. but implement some stuff like you described
>
>(little out of topic)
>Blender really lacks of "organizer", i mean  managers at several levels. ( for object/texturing/Render etc etc )
>and there node-based architecture or again "spreadsheet" would be greatly appreciated and speed up the workflow.
>

>the blender team knows that perfectly, lacks of Organization could be fatal :)

After having worked with several node-based systems I realized that such
an architecture would be a wise choice for almost any application where
huge and complex sets of data have to be manipulated and organized.
Obviously compositing is very different from 3D-animation, but there are
also many similarities. When it comes to texturing the workflow is
almost comparable (I'd love to have a way to create shader-trees in
Blender, something most 3D-apps offer by now, this would be very handy
for the game-engine, too [consider DirectX 9 shaders]). The beauty of
node-trees is that you can create incredibly complex ...ahhhm...
'things' ... with an incredibly simple interface.

Don't get me wrong here, I wouldn't want to completely redefine the
philosophy and workflow of Blender, I'd rather have some node-tree-like
interface in development. A better OOPS-schematic could serve as a basis
to develop more interesting stuff. Once a good node-editing interface is
established it can be used in many more places (and the users will want
it in more places, believe me).

--------------050608080509020301030909

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Shodan wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:27:53 +0200
Konrad Haenel &lt;<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:public@konrad-haenel.de">public@konrad-haenel.de</a>&gt; wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Did any of you work with Maya or Shake or Avid-DS? What sets these
[...]

complex ...ahhhm... 'things' ... with an incredibly simple interface. <br>
Don't get me wrong here, I wouldn't want to completely redefine the
philosophy and workflow of Blender, I'd rather have some node-tree-like
interface in development. A better OOPS-schematic could serve as a
basis to develop more interesting stuff. Once a good node-editing
interface is established it can be used in many more places (and the
users will want it in more places, believe me).<br>

--------------050608080509020301030909--