[Bf-funboard] Strong Node-Based architecture

Shodan bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:12:41 +0200

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:27:53 +0200
Konrad Haenel <public@konrad-haenel.de> wrote:

> Did any of you work with Maya or Shake or Avid-DS? What sets these
> High-End tools so far apart from the competition is their strong
> node-based architecture. This is something I'd really love to see more
> emphasized in Blender. This would open a lot more possibilities and make
> the GUI a lot slimmer at the same time!
>
> While working on Avid-DS I realized that over time you start to solve
> even small tasks with nodes because it's the fastest way to accomplish
> almost anything. I couldn't think of a more direct way to create results
> from ideas.

You'd have taken Houdini as reference rather than Shake or Avid-DS because Compositing workflow isn't the same business than 3D software's workflow.
Houdini has a node-based architecture, in fact everything is a node and it's pretty powerful but not obvious at the first try.
But we don't have to follow Houdini, first cause Blender is already advanced and with another philosophy, it would be pretty hard.. but implement some stuff like you described

(little out of topic)
Blender really lacks of "organizer", i mean  managers at several levels. ( for object/texturing/Render etc etc )
and there node-based architecture or again "spreadsheet" would be greatly appreciated and speed up the workflow.

the blender team knows that perfectly, lacks of Organization could be fatal :)