[Bf-funboard] Object manager update

Karim Nassar bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:30:03 -0500

> I think what is important is making locked objects active... (so if click on
> a locked object, perhaps all that happens is that it just becomes active,
> but it isn't selected [since I think the only reason to select things is to
> move, rotate, make it a child, etc - editing type stuff]). So I think
> "locked" is probably the best term (rather than editable/non-editable).

Um... I really disagree here. Locked should mean completely locked. An
object that is locked cannot be altered in any way. No moving, scaling,
rotating. No assigning materials, or decimating, or copying. Certainly
no selecting or making it active!

The reason to have a Lock function is so that in highly complex modeling
tasks, one can lock-down objects that one doesn't want to affect while
still being able to see them.

A locked object should not react to the cursor/clicking at all. How will
it help to lock something (so that one can manipulate surrounding
objects) if it becomes active when it's clicked? The Blender UI should
completely ignore locked objects. That's the way Locking works in every
other app I've used.

--Karim