[Bf-funboard] MIDI Integration

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 02:36:28 +0100

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 10:36:16PM -0600, Johnny Matthews wrote:

> Because you really want to be able to use as many midi files in your
> animation as possible, line them up in the timeline at the correct
> time, have muliple files control multiple objects etc. I have some
> ideas that include making a new strip type for midi and then attaching
> midi strips/channels/notes to mesh RVKs. (I may actually be crazy
> enough to look into coding it) I wanted to get a feel from the
> community if this sort of proposal was a needed thing or not before
> I sink any time into it. Having been a music major in college, I'm
> always interested in audio.

I would love to create (or at least try to) music videos with lots
of things moving and changing to the rhythm, colour and light tied
to the melody, dancing robots and so on.
With collision detection, one could think of generating MIDI/Audi
events from happenings in the 3d world.
With envelope followers IPOs could be generated from Audio.

Managing MIDI in Blender would be welcome, but I can hardly imagine
the integration of a complete MIDI/Audio sequencer (with all editing
cappabilities). So it would be already great if it would be possible
to run Blender in sync with an external sequencer (should work
with Cubase, Rosegarden or maybe Muse).

Just having a beat scale in the timeline, allowing to set tempo
changes would be helpful (making it easy to set keys to the rhythm).

My recent proposal contains a timeline, that should be much like that
from Flash, but I could imagine integrating MIDI/Audio Tracks.
Would also go well with my idea to use solo/mute for visibilty
(same controls for 3d objects and audio tracks).

---
Thorsten